Planning for the end of the season is vital for growers who want returnees back on farm in 2021.
With Brexit looming and no news on the SAWS pilot, growers will need to work even harder to encourage returnees for next season’s harvest.
- Inform team members of the need to apply for pre-settled or settled status before the deadline of 30 June 2021 if they want to work in the UK next year.
- Provide departure questionnaires to all team members to get vital feedback on areas where you need to improve.
- Encourage any team members who are keen to return next season to sign a returnee contract before they depart and offer them their preferred accommodation as an incentive.
- Offer incentives to returnees such as subsidised accommodation, returnee bonuses and contributions towards transport.
- It’s also important that the HOPS’ portal is updated with worker departure dates as soon as possible so it is clear when people are returning to their home countries.
For more advice on returnees and retention, contact the HOPS team and request a copy of the HOPS Little Book of Happiness, which includes checklists and support.