We asked some of our clients this question and this is what they said!
Here are the top 5 answers;
- Advertising costs – Job posting is not cheap especially when unfilled roles require re-posting over a number of weeks.
- Time wasters – This included no shows to interviews and candidates with no farm experience applying for higher skilled roles.
- Accommodation – Clients recruiting nationally found that they needed to provide accommodation. Top reasons for difficulties were obtaining/building new premises where none existed and negotiations around shared living areas.
- Finding the right personality – Clients expressed frustration around finding a new employee who would fit into their existing team.
- Being busy – Recruiting requires the time to head hunt and pre-screen applications quickly. Being understaffed created extra pressure on farm so farmers were often torn between mucking in and recruiting.